The War Memorial Carillon, University of Sydney commemorates the 197 undergraduates, graduates and staff who died in the Great War of 1914-1918. It was paid for by private subscription (inside and outside the University) and was dedicated on the afternoon of Anzac Day, 25 April, 1928, by visiting English carillonist, Mr. Bryan Barker. Originally the Carillon consisted of 62 bells giving 49 notes, the top octave bells being in duplicate. The bells were cast by John Taylor & Co. of Loughborough, Leicestershire, whose foundry origins date back to the 14th Century. The instrument was played at a keyboard of manual and pedal levers. For a short time a pneumatic keyboard was also used.